Saturday, September 17, 2011

Do You Get DC Jokes?

I've now lived eight months in DC and am happy to notice I actually get (some, well let's say most) of the insidey jokes I found from DCist, a popular DC news blog's Overheard in DC section. People actually send these to be published. Here's a few examples:


Next time, let her go first

On the Red Line between Dupont Circle and Farragut North:

Pretentious guy trying to impress a girl: "I'm interning now, but I'll go back to Atlanta after summer, maybe look to do consulting for a couple years before making a run in politics when I'm in my late 20s. So what do you do?"
Girl: "I work in the White House."
Guy: "Oh. That's cool too."

Well played, sir

Around 6:30 in the morning, a young man in gym clothes walks inside DC USA, clearly on his way to the Washington Sports Club. After seeing that the down escalator is broken and blocked off, he turns his head to the policeman standing guard at the building's entrance.

"So I see we're gonna be like Metro today."

That's just an estimate, of course

At 8:45 am, a mother walking to Preview Day check-in at American University on her cell phone:

"It's 900 million fucking degrees here!"

(It was 85 degrees at that time.)

Children: a lot dumber than you think.

Two teenagers in front of a slavery exhibit at the American history museum:

Boy: "Slaves were so dumb. Why didn't they just buy guns and shoot their owners in the face?"
Girl: "But then they'd lose their jobs. Where would they get money?"
Boy: "You're an idiot. Slaves don't get paid. And they could run away on the special railroad."

More jokes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment